Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Buffalo, NY
Fighting for Victims of Medical Negligence Throughout Western New York
Though it’s widely known that health care professionals can make errors in providing treatment, you may not realize just how common medical negligence, malpractice, and injury cases are. According to a recent article in Becker’s Hospital Review, a resource for data and trends in the health care industry, New York topped the list of the highest medical malpractice payouts in 2018 at $685.3 million. These amounts certainly helped victims recoup some of their losses, but many still suffer the emotional and physical consequences of their injuries.
At Richmond Vona, LLC, our lawyers understand the far-reaching implications for victims of medical malpractice in Buffalo, NY. We’re dedicated to helping you get the compensation you need and deserve through our extensive knowledge, experience, and skills in these types of claims. Please read on for some important information about medical malpractice and filing a medical malpractice claim in New York, or contact our office to schedule a free case evaluation with a Buffalo medical malpractice attorney today.
Types of Medical Malpractice Claims
In general, medical malpractice claims arise out of mistakes and careless acts, which can be classified into multiple categories.
Some common categories of medical malpractice include:
Diagnosing Errors: Physicians can make mistakes when diagnosing a patient, usually in one
of the following ways:
- Erroneous Diagnosis: When a doctor provides a diagnosis that’s inaccurate, the patient suffers because he or she receives unnecessary care for a condition that’s not present. Plus, the true ailment goes untreated entirely.
- Delayed Diagnosis: A physician may be careless in not recognizing the signs and symptoms of a medical condition, so the patient doesn’t receive proper care in a timely manner. Delays in providing a diagnosis can be especially harmful for cancer patients and those dealing with other issues that can become terminal.
Surgical Errors: These mistakes may include:
- Operating on the wrong patient
- Performing surgery on the wrong body part
- Leaving an object inside the patient
- Causing harm to the body around the location of the procedure, such as slicing a blood vessel or organ
- Lack of Informed Consent: A physician is required to obtain the patient’s consent to a procedure after explaining the nature of the treatment and its risks. Failure to do so may be an example of medical malpractice.
These are not the only types of medical malpractice that can occur; medication mistakes, anesthesia errors, birth injuries, and a whole host of other negligent actions and injuries can all fall under the umbrella of medical malpractice.
How Medical Malpractice Cases Work in New York
Regardless of the specific type of medical error, malpractice cases typically proceed under the legal concept of negligence. A medical malpractice lawyer in Buffalo, NY can explain in more detail how this theory of liability applies to your situation, but there are four basic elements you must prove to recover compensation.
These four elements include:
- Your health care provider had a duty to treat you according to medically accepted standards of care, a duty which arises out of the patient-physician relationship.
- Your doctor breached this duty by deviating from the standard of care, essentially NOT treating you in accordance with how a prudent physician would have provided care under the same circumstances.
- The breach of duty was a direct cause of your injuries, instead of them arising from some other intervening factor. Disappointment in the result of a procedure or an unsuccessful outcome would not rise to the level of meeting this element.
- You suffered losses as a result of your injuries. These losses can be either economic or non-economic in nature and may include things like revision surgeries, additional medical treatment, lost income or wages, pain and suffering, and emotional distress.
Our Buffalo medical malpractice lawyers can be reached online or by phone at (716) 300-5885. Your initial consultation is free and we do not charge any attorneys’ fees unless/until we recover compensation for you.
Trucking Accident $4.25 Million Settlement
Mesothelioma from Asbestos Exposure $3.2 Million Settlement
Mesothelioma from Asbestos Exposure $2.5 Million Jury Verdict
Mesothelioma from Asbestos Exposure $2 Million Jury Verdict
Mesothelioma From Asbestos Exposure $1.6 Million Settlement
Mesothelioma from Asbestos Exposure $1.2 Million Settlement
Delayed Diagnosis $1.2 Million Jury Verdict
Mesothelioma from Asbestos Exposure Seven-Figure Settlement
If you have additional questions about your rights as the victim of medical malpractice, please contact Richmond Vona, LLC to schedule a no-cost case evaluation. Our team serves clients in Erie County and throughout Western New York from our office in Buffalo, NY, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Get in touch with us by calling (716) 300-5885 or by submitting an online contact form.
A Results-Oriented Focus
Our legal team is prepared to do whatever is necessary to get you the full and fair financial compensation that you deserve.
Care, Compassion and Respect
After all you’ve been through, you deserve someone to fight for you, while providing the individual attention you deserve.
Open and Honest Communication
We value communication and honesty, and we promise to always keep you informed and up to date about your case.
Personalized Legal Representation
When you entrust your case to our skilled attorneys, you become part of the Richmond Vona family - not just another case file.